Thursday, May 5, 2011

A lesson from Mom.

Ok, I will admit one of the things that my mother used to do that embarrassed me, was getting “rainchecks”. Fast forward a few years, and there isn’t a week that goes by that I am not getting them myself….ok, getting SEVERAL!

Case in point …

A few weeks ago, CVS had a 5 for $5 sale which included toothpaste, floss, Dove soap, mouthwash and a few other items. Now, I had $1/1 coupons for a combination of 10 items, making them all FREE! But wouldn’t you know the shelves were cleared. So I got rainchecks, for the items that I had coupons for. As I was driving home, I thought since rainchecks don’t expire, and there are always coupons for these items…why not get more rainchecks, and go back when new coupons come out? And that is what I did.

I have been holding on to this raincheck for 5 $1 Colgate toothpastes, just waiting for more coupons to come out…and I didn’t have to wait long. In the 5/1 insert, there were $1 off coupons for Colgate. I now have 5 of them…and last night, went back to CVS for 5 free tubes of Colgate.

Another example, last week, CVS had a BOGO on Arm & Hammer laundry products. I had a few $3/2 coupons for their dryer sheets.

Here is how this broke out:

2 A&H Dryer Sheets = $9.98
Minus BOGO = $4.99
Minus $3 off coupon = $3.00
Total = $1.99

I thought this was a fabulous deal, since one box of 40 dryer sheets, is usually a lot more than $1.99....not to mention 2.

I went home that afternoon, and through a clipping service bought 20 more of these Arm & Hammer coupons, then went back to CVS to get more rain checks. CVS doesn’t have a large supply of these on the shelves, but I will keep checking back and going to other locations to use all these coupons and rainchecks. Why not? 80 dryers sheets for $1.99? I figured that all these dryer sheets will last me 2 years. This is just another item I have taken off my regular grocery spending.

So my advice…get rainchecks if the shelves are cleared. Get more than you will need, especially if it is an item (like diapers or toothpaste) that you know more coupons will be coming out for.

Happy rainchecking!

No comments:

Post a Comment