Tuesday, October 11, 2016

TSA Pre-Check – Should I do it or not?

If you are a frequent traveler and wanted to do TSA Pre-Check, what wasn’t sure about it, here is the low down on it…

It is valid for 5 years, according to the TSA website, in July 2016, 97% of TSA Pre® passengers waited less than 5 minutes. 

When I went, I went the Raleigh-Durham Airport (RDU), and I live in Boston.  I went to RDU, because I happen to be traveling there Raleigh, and there was no line.  It is suggested to make an appointment, they give priority to people with appointments, rather than walk-ins. 

What you need to do. First make you appointment.  The day of your appointment, bring your passport and a credit card for the $85 fee. 

You will then get a letter in the mail about 14 days letter (if approved), with your new known traveler number (KTN) – this number will be given to you, in the exact name that your passport is in.  This means moving forward, all your airline tickets need to be booked with the name that your passport is in. 
I know this first hand, if you don’t do this, it doesn’t work.  My middle name is on my passport but not on my license.  And without my middle name on my airline tickets, my TSA Pre-Check does not work.  So, believe me, it needs to be identical! 

More and more airports are opening up TSA Pre-Check offices, so if you are traveling, and want to make an appointment, it doesn’t only take 15-20 minutes.  I know Boston now has an office, and I was just in Nashville and they have an office too.

I always have a trade show during February and April school vacation weeks, believe me, this was the best $85 I ever spent when I got to avoid those lines.


For more information on locations, and what to bring, visit:  https://universalenroll.dhs.gov/programs/precheck

No comments:

Post a Comment