Friday, October 7, 2016

Oh Amazon

It seems the reviewing world is in an uproar over Amazon changing its Terms of Service (TOS) for reviews. I haven't quite made heads or tails of it yet but there is always a silver lining.

The thing is, the FTC has reviewing guidelines -- and I am by no means an expert so please read the guidelines if you want to know more.I took a few of the most important parts I read on the page and quoted them below:
"Is there special wording I have to use to make the disclosure?
No. The point is to give readers the essential information. A simple disclosure like “Company X gave me this product to try . . . .” will usually be effective."

and

"When should I say more than that I got a product for free?
It depends on what else (if anything) you received from the company.

For example, if an app developer gave you their 99-cent app for free in order for you to review it, that might not have much effect on the weight that readers give to your review. But if the app developer also gave you $100, that would have a much greater effect on the credibility of your review. So a disclosure that simply said you got the app for free wouldn’t be good enough.

Similarly, if a company gave you a $50 gift card to give away to one of your readers and a second $50 gift card to keep for yourself, it wouldn’t be good enough to only say that the company gave you a gift card to give away."

Simple, right?

Here's my take - be up front and honest about what you received. I have by no means ever been expected to review something I've received at a discount. If I like the product, I'll review it. Simple.

I've been a #BzzAgent member for years..and always disclose where and how I received something. I think Amazon took a bunch of bad reviewers and wiped people who might not have deserved it.

It will be interesting to see what unfolds.

No comments:

Post a Comment