Friday, April 15, 2011

How to Shop for Free - Kathy Spencer Class

I recently attended Kathy Spencer's How to Shop for Free class in Framingham which was "Coupon Class for a Cause" where a portion of the proceeds went to Framingham High School.

It was the best money I could spend, I think of it as an investment in the wedding. Ha! I really look at it this way, if we can save any money we can, it's worth it, because the payback will be worth it in the end. If that means I buy 6 or 8 cans of tuna on sale this week, that's what I'll do (provided our tiny apartment has room).

Kathy walked us through how she shops at drug stores, grocery stores and even clothing stores (she couldn't give away all her secrets though. Most of them are in her book which I immediately bought). Some lessons I learned..are:
  1. I need a better way to organize my coupons. The current method of clipping and having them all over the coffee table in the living room just isn't working. She told us about her method and I kind of like it -- a lot.
  2. You can freeze yogurt. 
  3. Coupons are everywhere, just don't look down while shopping (Lisa and I did a lap of a grocery store when the class was over and sure enough, Kathy was right!) 
  4. If you can get stuff that's free or near free stockpile it so you won't have to buy it for a long time and pay full price
  5. I have a new found appreciation for stores that have 10/$10 sales and if they double a coupon, it might mean you get the items FREE
  6. Last but not least, you have to change the way you look at sales flyers and start to think double coupon = free. 
Did I learn more than this? Heck yes, but I'm not going to share all my secrets or hers. I can't wait to start her book.

No comments:

Post a Comment